The plugin Forum Attachments for BuddyPress has been the bane of my existence for some time. I have focused my awesomeness on taming the beast for BP 1.2. Still beta-ish – please test and report bugs, if you find any.
I posted about this a while ago, but I have ported _ck_’s bb_attachments plugin to BP 1.1.x. I took some time today to clean up the readme files and submit the plugin to the wordpress.com plugin database. Nothing about the plugin itself, or the hooks you’ll have to put into your theme, has changed since my last post; but at least now you’ll receive the file with full documentation and can use the WP plugin installer to install and maintain this bad boy.
Get it here or by searching for “forum attachments” on WP’s Add New Plugin page.
Bug reports (and especially patches!) are welcome.
Now that bbPress is integrated into the Very Fabric of BuddyPress, there’s some demand for useful bbPress plugins to be ported over to BP. One of the most useful is _ck_’s excellent bb-attachments, which allows users to add attachments to their forum posts. I have spent a bit of time in the last few days porting it over to BP. If anyone out there is running a BP+bbPress setup (I think it should work in any recent version of BP, but I’ve only tested in BP 1.1) and would like to help me to test what is I think a functional BP version of the plugin, please do so. Here are the details.
- Download the plugin bb-attachments.php.zip
- Unzip and upload to your WPMU plugin directory. Activate it.
- You’ll have to make a few changes/additions to your theme files to make it work. In your BP theme directory, go to groups/single/forum/topic.php. On line 9, after the ‘template_notices’ hook, add
Next: After line 61, which reads
insert the following line
Next: On line 26, replace
</p> <form action="" method="post" id="forum-topic-form" class="standard-form">
</p> <form action="" method="post" id="forum-topic-form" class="standard-form" enctype="multipart/form-data">
- In the same theme directory, open edit.php and index.php. Find the <form> tags, as described in the last part of the previous step, and replace them with the alternative <form> tag (with the enctype specified)
- Follow steps 1 and 2 from here. Step 5 on that page (the “optional settings”) you can do as well, and those settings might take some tweaking for certain filetypes to be allowed.
- Start uploading!
A few caveats:
- I have not tested any of the AWS abilities. It’s possible that they will still work, as the AWS functionality is more or less abstracted from the specific bbPress hooks.
- Inline images are not yet supported. I’m working on it.
- Things look a little bit ugly with the default BP 1.1 theme. I haven’t done much to make it pretty. I’m happy to take aesthetic suggestions, if you have any.
Thanks in advance for your help. Please leave any comments here in this post’s thread.