BuddyPress search, out of the box, is not very good. Say you’re looking for a group called “History of Wars in America”. The search term
Wars in America will return the group, but
America Wars will not. (Technical reason: search terms get lumped as a single string into a MySQL
I have some ideas about how to improve this behavior in BuddyPress itself, including stealing some of the goodies that recently went into WordPress. But for now, here’s a simple drop-in filter that fixes the word-wise problem.
(if the formatting is messed up, view the original at https://gist.github.com/boonebgorges/8301715)
Something very similar would work for members searches, though the query variables passed along to the filters probably have a slightly different syntax. (I made these changes for City Tech OpenLab, whose members queries are custom anyway.)
Again, this filter is not perfect – it doesn’t try to do any caching, it doesn’t look for literal strings in quotes, etc – but you might find it useful until some real fixes are in place in BP.
I’m happy (and, frankly, a little surprised) to announce that my campaign to fund a round of Anthologize development, which ended last night, successfully met its funding goal of $2,500. Donations came from friends and strangers; individuals and organizations; and from the WordPress, ed tech, digital humanities, and other miscellaneous communities of awesomeness. Close to $1,000 (or more, depending on how you count – more on this in a moment) came in within the last 24 hours.
First off: Whoo! And thanks!
Second, here’s an exact breakdown of the funds:
- The final tally from the Indiegogo campaign was $2,665.
- I got an email late yesterday from the team in charge of the OpenLab project at CUNY City Tech. They pledged an extremely generous $1,000 for the Anthologize campaign. For bureaucratic reasons, their donation couldn’t come through Indiegogo, so we’ll be working out a different way to deliver the funds.
- The Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media agreed (amazingly) to match, dollar for dollar, all donations to the campaign. Their contribution comes to $3,665.
This gives us a grand total of $7,330, which translates to about 98 hours of development time. It’s worth saying again: Whoo! And thanks!
Next steps: In the upcoming week or so, I’ll be reaching out to donors to collect any information necessary for their awards: mailing addresses, links to their websites, etc. Over the course of the next few weeks, I’ll be talking to other members of the Anthologize dev team about a roadmap for using these dev resources. And I’ll be starting to work down those 98 hours around the middle of November, when my work schedule eases up a bit. That’s also when I’ll start blogging in earnest about progress on the plugin, as well as some more general thoughts about crowdfunding for this sort of project, about the viability of free software projects not owned by any specific institution, about the role of Anthologize in publishing, and other such philosophical delights. These posts will “sponsored by” the contributors who pitched in $75 or more, which means that I need to write at least 15 of them 🙂
I’m looking forward to the next stage of Anthologize. I hope you are too – you made it happen.