Import From Ning imports the contents of your Ning Network Archive into BuddyPress.
See the initial announcement here.
- Install in your plugins folder and activate. I recommend using the plugin on a fresh WP/BP installation; if running on an installation with existing content, please make a database backup first.
- Download your Ning network export, using the Archiver tool as described here: http://help.ning.com/cgi-bin/ning.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3796
- Upload the content of your unzipped Ning export (a group of .json files, as well as several directories) to wp-content/ning-files. If this is the first time you’ve used this plugin, you’ll have to create the directory ning-files first.
- Visit the plugin panel at Dashboard > BuddyPress > Import From Ning and follow the instructions
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I’m not running BuddyPress?
- Version 2.0 of Import From Ning does not support WordPress standalone. Use version 1.1: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/import-from-ning/download/
- What content will Import From Ning import?
- Import From Ning currently imports the following items from a Ning export: members, member profiles, member avatars, members comments (the “wall”), groups, discussions, and blogs. The plugin attempts to recognize inline images and copy them to the BuddyPress installation, so that you don’t lose the images you’ve put in your blog posts.
- What about my images, movies, and music?
- BuddyPress by itself does not currently support photo, movie, or music galleries. The best plugin available for images right now is BuddyPress Album+ , which is in the process of being adapted to support video and audio galleries as well. In the future, I hope to expand this plugin to import content for display with Album+, but in the meantime you can import your multimedia content manually.
- What do I do if I have a gargantuan network?
- The plugin is most reliable when working with relatively small sets of data, though I have tested it with a network import of over 1300 users. There are various safeguards built into Import From Ning, so that if a particular step fails to complete because your hosting environment runs out of memory, you can simply refresh the page to pick up from where you’ve left off.
- What’s with all these new groups?
- In BuddyPress, each forum must be associated with a group. In cases where your Ning discussion thread was not part of a group, Import From Ning creates a group corresponding to the discussion category and places the discussion topic there.
Be a pal
I spent many mornings building this plugin, so that WordPress and BuddyPress users – and especially my friends who are WP/BP consultants – could reap the benefits. If you use this plugin (especially for a paying client!) please consider a donation.
Import from Ning has been downloaded 4,953 times. Are you using this plugin? Consider a donation.
- 2.0 – July 23, 2010
- Added support for Ning network content
- 1.1 – April 18, 2010
- Switched from copy-and-paste to direct .csv upload
- Added BuddyPress profile field import functionality
- 1.0 – April 16, 2010
- Initial release